NWF Group has developed our commitment to delivering long-term sustainable value by defining our 2040 ambitions and aligning our reporting measures to drive progress towards them.
Critical to our success is collaboration between our divisions and key stakeholders and our focus going forward will be to define key milestone targets against which we can measure our progress.
What have we done?
- Developed sustainability strategy, embedding ESG within existing corporate governance and reporting framework.
- Sustainability Policy developed and shared with key stakeholders.
- Identification of priority objectives and ambitions.
- Began reporting on environmental impact with SECR disclosure.
2020 baseline metrics
- 1,517 driver training hours in Food. Improved to 10,225 in 2023.
- 17 RIDDORs. Now at 17 at 31 May 2023.
- 18 Feeds Academy Trainees. Total trained to date: 33.
- Total emissions of 31,533tCO2e. Decreased by 6.8% to 31 May 2023.
- 21.21 tCO2e/sq ft1 reduced to 13.61 tCO2e/sq ft1 at 31 May 2023.
1 tCO2e/year defined as tonnes of CO2 equivalent per year.
Where are we now?
- Committed to four long-term ESG ambitions including a net zero target.
- Identification of key ESG reporting measures across four strategic objectives and embedded into monthly reporting.
- Initial target setting and specific ESG initiatives identified.
- Development of the measurement of our metrics.
- Embedded ESG Steering Committee.
- Preparation of our first TCFD disclosures.
- Introduction of our Group-wide Supplier Code of Conduct.
- Continued improvement of our near miss reporting and embedding a culture of safety.
- Measurement of customer NPS score through the Happiness Index.
Key safety metrics defined and health and safety-specific initiatives discussed monthly by the ESG Steering Committee.
The Group has created a new supplier due diligence process and has shared our Supplier Code of Conduct with all our suppliers during FY23.
Improved our eNPS score by 0.8 points through targeted actions across the Group to demonstrate our investment in our people and to grow our culture.
An assessment of environmental impact (including carbon emissions impact) is now included in all major capital investment projects.
What will we do over the next two years?
- Development of our TCFD disclosures.
- Further development of ESG initiatives.
- Embedding ESG initiatives within the NWF business model.
- Roll-out of near miss reporting across the Group.
- Continued investment in fleet and trialling of emerging technologies.
- Measurement of our employee population as we work toward the creation of a diversity and inclusion policy.
- Implementation of new learning and development programmes for our people.
Aim to reduce number of road accidents, lost time injuries and RIDDORs from current reported metrics.
Maintain and improve OTIF scores and, having provided our Supplier Code of Conduct to our suppliers, ensure this is maintained and provided to all new suppliers.
Roll out further employee engagement surveys and identify key areas to improve employee satisfaction and wellbeing.
Develop our diversity and inclusion strategy. Set a target for our net promoter score by division.
100% of our fleet to meet Euro 6 standards and focus on driver behaviour to improve MPG.
What are our longer-term commitments and ambitions?
- Embed a behavioural safety approach to encourage positive open dialogue about safety in all our operations.
- Improve standards and policies, risk assessments and collaboration with our supply chain to maximise positive impacts for our stakeholders.
- Broaden our training and professional development programmes and wider employee wellness initiatives.
- Continue to invest in latest truck technology and fuel sources, and plan for renewable energy transition.
Our 2040 ambitions
- Reduce accidents and incidents to a minimal level with a zero-harm target.
- Opportunities for all: Deliver a culture of equality, diversity and inclusion supported by a programme of development in place for every employee.
- Leverage business partnerships: Develop, test and adopt emerging technologies to support sustainable delivery and value for our customers.
Net zero emissions
- Achieve net zero carbon emissions within our own operations by 2040.